Your orthopaedic surgeons in West Covina, and Los Angeles, CA, can help with tennis elbow.
Tennis elbow isn’t just for tennis players. In fact, any repetitive motion activity involving your elbow can lead to tennis elbow symptoms. It’s a common overuse injury affecting your forearm tendons. Fortunately, your orthopaedic surgeon can help you and your elbow feel better.
The orthopaedic surgeons of Samimi Orthopaedic Group can help with elbow injuries and other orthopaedic issues. They have convenient office locations in Los Angeles, and West Covina, CA, to help you feel better.
Tennis elbow is also known as elbow lateral epicondylitis, and it happens when you use your elbow too often, as in the case of playing racquet sports like tennis. When you have tennis elbow, your forearm tendons become inflamed. In addition to sports, there are also occupations that can lead to tennis elbow, including painting, plumbing, construction, and others.
When you have tennis elbow, you will feel:
- Pain on the outer side of your forearm
- A burning sensation on the outer side of your forearm
- Weakened arm and gripping strength
- Pain which is most common in your dominant arm
If you think you might have tennis elbow, you can:
- Try icing the area several times each day to reduce swelling
- Take anti-inflammatory medications to reduce inflammation and pain
- Rest your arm and avoid heavy lifting or playing your sport
For moderate to severe tennis elbow symptoms, it’s best to visit your orthopaedic surgeon, who may recommend:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy to strengthen your forearm
- Elbow stretches to maintain flexibility
- Wearing an elbow brace for support
- Steroid injections at your elbow
Platelet-Rich Plasma or PRP may be recommended to increase strength in your arm and boost your body’s natural healing abilities. Elbow surgery may also be recommended in some severe cases that don’t respond to other forms of therapy. Surgery may be performed either arthroscopically or as open surgery.
To find out more about symptoms and treatments of tennis elbow, talk with the experts by calling the orthopaedic surgeons of Samimi Orthopaedic Group. You can reach them in Los Angeles at (310) 606-2156, or West Covina, CA, at (626) 338-7391, so call today!